Monday, January 6, 2014

A few words can change your whole world.

     Today was one of those days. The kind of day where you get out of bed and you're grumpy and groggy and achy and irritated and you know that your mood isn't going to improve throughout the day. You do your best to get through it and act like yourself but you're just not yourself. I hate those days. So I decided I needed a break. I spent the day in my pajamas and just relaxed with my kids, watched football and did a minimal (like that's even a real thing) amount of housework. Of course it was also the kind of day where the kids decided they were gonna be brats all day and their moods weren't good either. I guess they just take signals from how we're acting or portraying ourselves.
     Needless to say by the time it was bedtime for the kids I was at my breaking point. Every little thing was setting me off and I just needed to crawl into a hole and be alone. So I tucked Gabe into bed and crawled in with him to give him a hug and say good night. Then he said "Mommy, I wish we could hug forever."
     Let me tell you, a piece of my heart broke. I had been a grump all day and wanted alone time. Yet, with one little sentence my whole world changed. Some days it's really hard to get out of my own head and remember what it is that is most important in life. Overall, today was a great day spent with my family and I couldn't get out of my own head long enough to enjoy it! That is so frustrating!
     I can't say that it will never happen again. I would like to say that but I just don't believe that it would be true. I can say, however, that I will try harder! I can say that I learned a big lesson. I will remember that moment and try and enjoy the little things more often, everyday, no matter how deep in my own head I am. I can say that tomorrow will be a better day no matter how much I want to retreat. I can say that it's the little things in life that matter the most. I can say that one small sentence, that may seem so insignificant to a 5 year old, can change your whole attitude. I can say that just a few words can change your whole world.

No comments:

Post a Comment